Friday, January 1, 2010

Another year

I did this last year and enjoy looking back at it, so here goes again!

January-- Scott and I celebrated our first anniversary as a married couple on December 31, 2008. We woke up January 1 at our lovely house in Southdowns, but only lived there for a couple weeks. On January 16 (also my sister's birthday!) we closed on our first home in Springlake subdivision in Baton Rouge. We spent countless hours painting and making other small changes before moving in a week later. We bought our first fancy washer and dryer and a great new living room set.

-- The delivery of our wonderful things took quite a while! The first few weeks we were in our home, we didn't have our new things. That meant lying on a blanket on the floor watching DVD's (our television service wasn't yet set up either). We made the best of it and spent a lot of time unpacking. We celebrated our 3rd Valentines Day together as a couple.

March-- Our new home was missing something... so we planted an Oklahoma Redbud tree in the front yard. We were easily swayed by the beautiful early Spring blooms.

April-- We celebrated my 26th birthday/Arbor Day by planting a red maple in the back yard. Scott and I both took that Friday off of work and we spent a wonderful day together. I ate at India's with Jeff for lunch.

May-- School ended mid-may, and I had a lot of work to complete to close out the school year. My position ended May 31, so I had almost an entire month off of work in June. We spent our time getting our last minute things together for our big vacation in June.

June-- Scott and I spent a week in Montego Bay, Jamaica at the Sunset Beach Resort. We enjoyed our time but found Jamaica to be a very sad, desperate country. Later that month, I threw a baby shower for a co-worker who was adopting. I visited Melanie, Jake, and Adora for five days. Near the end of the month, I started in my new position at a middle school in Baton Rouge. Roxie kept me busy with two dog parties in one day.

July-- We celebrated Scott's birthday with dinner at a Thai restaurant that he loves. I convinced him that we would be picking up take-out, but when we got there, my mom and Jeff were there. He still thought it was a coincidence... until I told him to go sit down. We ended the evening watching a movie (his choice, which is rare!) The next day we met our dear friends Jeremy and Ashley in New Orleans to visit the "bug zoo." We spent some time at the museum and enjoyed a day of summer in the French Quarter. Scott and I joined the YMCA and started regularly attending classes.

August-- School started early August and I started at my new school. We went to the Baton Rouge Balloon Festival and Scott was interviewed by Channel 2. We DVR'd the news that evening and were so tickled to see Scott on TV. We decided Scott has a Southern accent -- something I've never noticed before!! We went to Austin, Texas for five days and loved it so much that it was hard to come home.

September-- We spent the day in New Orleans at The Aquarium of the America's and Cafe Maspero. We did a little shopping in the French Quarter and drove past our favorite hotel, La Pavillion.

October-- Scott and I had the opportunity to attend a tailgate party on the terrace of the journalism building at LSU. We watched James Carville broadcast Serius XM radio from the terrace and I was lucky enough to snap a photo with him. We watched the Tigers flood the streets around the stadium, but we weren't lucky enough to get tickets to the game! On Halloween night, we finally made it to the Tiger Den Suites -- courtesy of AT&T. I have no desire to ever sit in the regular stadium seating again :)

-- I found out this month that I was pregnant. It was everything we have wished for and I didn't believe it was true. After two blood tests, I started to believe it. We celebrated Thanksgiving with my mom, Jeff, brother Joshua, and step-brother Joseph. We went to LSU vs Arkansas in the suite and I was unable to enjoy the complementary alcohol! Fortunately I wasn't feeling sick, but it was very cold.

December-- The last week of school, I took off some time and Scott and went to Wichita Falls to visit Melanie, Jake, and Adora. We spent our last Christmas as a two-person family. Christmas Eve we ate dinner with my mom. Christmas morning we shared breakfast with my mom and our family, and then went to Slidell to spend time with Scott's family. We shared our news with Scott's mom and she was overjoyed. For our anniversary, we drove all over town getting ingredients for the perfect stay-at-home dinner. We made a fantastic cheese fondue (with fancy cheese from Whole Foods) and dipped vegetables, bread, and apples into the cheese. Scott had a grilled his steak and I baked a stuffed chicken breast. By the time we got to the main course, I couldn't eat my chicken!! We stayed up reading until midnight (thrilling, I know!!), kissed for the new year, and went to bed.

I can't wait to see what 2010 brings us! Happy New Year!!

No comments: