When we first moved into our home, we painted one of the rooms (the smallest room, too!) It became Scott's office. We chose a curry yellow, and while we both like the color, it's really loud. Neither of us had a lot of experience painting, so we just got what we thought we needed and went for it. After it dried we decided we weren't too happy with the outcome -- and since the color of the room was so drastically different than the previous color, we had to use 2 coats of primer and three coats of paint for the smallest room in the house. With the cost of the drop cloths, the brushes and rollers and other tools, the job cost us over $200. Not cheap, especially considering we could have gotten someone to do it for us for that job (and we'd be happy with it!)
There are other rooms we have been needing to paint, but I told Scott I wanted to make sure we were happy with the results if we were going to spend the money. If that meant hiring a painter, that's what we'd do -- but I didn't want us to drop a ton of cash and be unhappy, then end up hiring someone anyway. So we made a deal -- he would paint the hallway, and if he did a good job, he would paint the other rooms. If we weren't happy with it, we'd hire someone and just pay to have it done.
With the baby on the way, I've been feeling a lot of pressure to get these things done. Part of me knows it will be harder to do once the baby comes, but a bigger part of me believes that if we wait, it will never be completed! With 20 weeks left in the pregnancy, we decided to get moving.
This week we went to Lowe's and chose a color for the hallway (a bit lighter than the previous color). Scott did a little research and found that we had the wrong rollers, so we went ahead and got the correct ones. Aside from rollers, paint, and tape, we really didn't need anything. Scott spent his time today taping off, edging, and rolling the paint. Now that it's complete I've decided...
I've hired a painter! Fortunately for us, he's cheap -- Scott did such a great job, he's been hired to do the other jobs :)
Scott found that the turtle tape was significantly better than the regular blue stuff. By using the correct tools (and likely by not allowing me to participate!), the job was completed at a professional level, but at a small cost! It only took one coat of paint, no primer (since the colors were so similar) and really didn't cost much.
Check out the man in action:
and the end result:
(color variations caused by lighting in the room)
Very pleased! Can't wait to start the nursery :)